SRHS Talent & Creativity Shines at Heard Museum American Indian Student Art Show

SRHS Talent & Creativity Shines at Heard Museum American Indian Student Art Show
Posted on 04/02/2019
This is the image for the news article titled SRHS Talent & Creativity Shines at Heard Museum American Indian Student Art Show

Five Salt River High School students placed for their work in theHeard Museum Guild Student Art Show & Sale recently. The artwork, ranging from paintings to drawings to woven pieces, was displayed March 29 through April 1.

The show provides emerging young artists with a venue that showcases their talents, often for the first time. Many professional artists started their careers at this event.

The same artwork was also showcased in late February at SRHS.

Students who placed at the show include: 

  • Anabelle King, 1st Place for a photograph
  • Devyn Losey, 1st Place for a woven basket
  • Adam Egoak, 2nd Place for a woven giho
  • Chastaine Seepie, 2nd Place for a woven giho
  • Khalin Hoskie, 3rd Place for a woven mat

Other SRHS students who submitted their amazing artwork include: 

  • Dante Shaw (woven mat and ink drawing)
  • Roy Manuel (acrylic painting)
  • Ana Calderon (colored pencil drawing)
  • Avrana Moreno (watercolor painting)
  • Josiah Manuel (woven basket and mat)
  • Rayleen Martinez (watercolor painting)
  • Jacob Spex (graphite drawing)

PHOTOS
Mats by Adam & Devyn
Mats by Adam & Devyn

Adam and his woven giho
Adam and his woven giho

Ana's drawing
Ana's drawing

Anabelle's photo
Anabelle's photo

Chastaine's woven giho
Chastain's woven giho

Dante's woven mat
Dante's woven mat

Devyn's basket
Devyn's basket

Jacob's drawing
Jacob's drawing

Josiah's basket
Josiah's basket

Kahlin's mat
Kahlin's mat

Rayleen's painting
Raylene's painting

ABOUT THE SHOW
Since 1986, students in grades 7-12 from tribes across North America are invited to enter their original artwork for the Heard Museum Guild Student Art Show & Sale. Winning works receive ribbons and cash prizes in two divisions each with 13 categories.

The show features a vast array of traditional and fine art – katsina dolls, pottery, baskets, jewelry, beadwork, weavings, paintings and sculpture – as well as unique contemporary pieces in creative mediums. In recent years, more than 1,000 pieces from some 650 artists representing dozens of tribes in at least a dozen states have been received.

All the entries are judged by a panel of knowledgeable art scholars including professional artists, college professors, curators, and collectors. First, second, third, and honorable mention ribbons are awarded in each of 13 art categories in two divisions. Best of division, best of show, and other special ribbons are also awarded. Each ribbon winner receives a cash prize. In recent years, the total amount awarded to student winners has averaged more than $4,000.

Each creation is priced by the student and is available for sale during the Show. Of the proceeds from the Student Art Show & Sale, 80 percent is returned to the students, and the remaining 20 percent covers the cash awards, helps to cover the cost of presenting the show. Since 1984 over $500,000 has been returned to students.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.